Jacobs Chapel was built in 1867 as an African Methodist Episcopal Church. The Coleman Meeting house was built in the 1820s as a school building and in the 1840s the building also served as a church. It is the oldest black church in Burlington County.
In addition to the historic significance of Jacobs Chapel in its part of the Underground Railroad, it also served as the landmark for the historic Mount Laurel Doctrine. The Chapel served as the meeting place for Ethel Lawrence and African American residents to organize their efforts to bring affordable housing to Mount Laurel.
Jacob’s Chapel Cemetery is one of the state’s oldest burial grounds for African Americans. The cemetery contains the graves of notable black Civil War soldiers and Dr. James Still, known as the “Black Doctor of the Pines”.
Today both the Colemantown Meeting House and Jacob's Chapel are listed on the New Jersey Register of Historic Places. You can visit Jacobs’ Chapel at 318 Elbo Lane.
Paulsdale, on Hooton Road, was built by Benjamin Hooton in 1800 on farmland that had been granted by the King in the 1600s. Alice Paul, an internationally known champion of women’s right to vote and the Equal Rights Amendment, was born at Paulsdale. Her family owned the house and surrounding 170 acres 1883-1957. Paulsdale is a National Historic Landmark and today is the home of the Alice Paul Institute.