The Green Team
The Green Team and Our Green Initiatives
The Mount Laurel Green Team was created by Mount Laurel Township in 2010 as part of the Sustainable Jersey certification program for municipalities. Sustainable Jersey supports communities going green, to save money and to improve the quality of life for residents over the long term. The Mount Laurel Green Team provides the Mount Laurel Community with organization, resources, and education for reaching sustainable goals.
Since the Green Teams inception some of the projects that volunteers have completed include:
- Mount Laurel’s Green Expo
- Tree Planting Projects
- Spearheading the Annual Community Wide Clean Up day
- Regular speakers at the Library on sustainable and environmental issues
- Periodic Book Clubs and Movie viewings on environmental issues
- Recycling Plant Tour and Education Program and Community Meetings.
- Maintaining and marketing the community garden
- Installation of Rain Garden
- Rain barrel making expo.
- Providing guidance to area schools on sustainable issues
- Wildflower planting at Community Gardens
Many of these efforts require involvement by members of the community. Current programs include conservation, education, recycling, and farms/gardens.
Mount Laurel residents may take their unused and expired medications to a drop box located in the Mount Laurel Police Department lobby (open 365 days a year anytime day or night) at 100 Mount Laurel Road, Mount Laurel. See more details of NJ's Medicine Drop Off here.
Rain gardens are shallow landscaped depressions able to intercept, treat, and infiltrate stormwater at its source (your yard and home) helping to protect the quality of our lakes, rivers, and streams and recharge our groundwater. Every drop of water kept out of our storm drains reduces flooding, mitigates pollution, and improves base flow in our waterways. Want to know more please follow the below links to Rutger's Rain Garden Manuals.